Green cactus; Red rock

Green cactus; Red rock
photo by Linda Hoffman Kimball

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Cautious Advent

Cautious Advent 
by Linda Hoffman Kimball


I guard myself against the baubles and the bright lights.
No malls, no 4am door-opening deals.
I will fast-forward through the ads
With the tantalizing prices.
Do not tweet the bargains to me.
The lure is strong, and the
Holiday hum a siren song.
Lead me not into temptation.
I am in it for the peace on earth,
The joy to the world, the silent night.
Help me focus not on the meltdowns,
But on the fifth candle,
The brilliant Center of it all.



I love the folderol. I embrace it all. The merriment and the fabulous store windows and the wrapping of gifts, the music.
I can feel the twitch of the Christmas season everywhere now and the Thanksgiving turkey isn’t even in the oven yet. But I’m still learning how to embrace it completely without catching the flu of consumerism.

Happy Thanksgiving, dear readers. I’m taking tomorrow (Thanksgiving) off from Alopad. See you on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment